The Maurice Marks Center for Local and California History houses a collection of books, newspaper clippings, documents, brochures, photographs, and ephemera.
This collection is named after community activist Maurice Marks, who was influential in creating and supporting community organizations and services during Fremont's early years as a city.
The collection focuses on the Tri-City region of Fremont, Newark and Union City with emphasis on the City of Fremont. Special areas of the collection include oral history tapes recorded in the early 1970s and mid 1980s, and the papers of Oakland Tribune reporter Gladys Williamson who covered the South County region from 1934 through 1962.
In addition, the collection has books pertaining to the state at large, including history, politics, geography, ecology and culture. The California collection concentrates on the Spanish colonial period through the incorporation of the City of Fremont in 1956.