Advises the City Council on matters relating to the Albany branch of the Alameda County Library system.
Members/Term: 5 Council Appointees - Members serve for two years, until the next Municipal Election.
(Roster updated 1/2019)
The Albany Library opened its current building in January 1994.
Principal Architect: Hal Brandes, Marquis Associates
Project Manager: Jim Karam, Richard Sampson Associates
Citizen Support Groups:
Size: 15,000 sq.ft.
Shelving Capacity: over 50,000 volumes
Cost: approximately $4,000,000
Edith Stone Room:
Albany resident Edith Stone (1888-1984), an avid reader and lifelong library patron, left her entire estate to the Albany Library, in the hope that generations of children to come would learn the same love of reading that had so enriched her life. Her bequest became the seed money for the construction of the new library building.
The library's public meeting room is named the Edith Stone Room in her honor.
The Albany Historical Collection comprises a wide range of materials, including books, newspapers, pamphlets, oral histories, photographs, clippings and memorabilia. The majority of the collection consists of material donated by local historian Catherine Webb. As founder and president of the Albany Historical Society, Ms. Webb documented the history of Albany for more than sixty years. In January 1994, to coincide with the opening of the new library building, she donated the entire collection of the Historical Society to the Albany Library, where it is displayed in a special alcove designed to house it. Since then, several other members of the community have donated additional materials to the library's collection, and the Friends of the Albany Library have generously supported the microfilming of the entire local newspaper collection.
The Albany Library's Historical Photograph Collection contains more than 600 photographs related to the history of Albany, dating from the 1860s to the present. These photographs were part of the collection of the Albany Historical Society, and were donated to the library in 1994. More photographs are being added to the collection all the time, as materials donated by the Historical Society continue to be processed, and members of the community come forward to make new donations.
In 2001-02, the Albany Library embarked on a project to digitize the Historical Photograph Collection and make access to information about the photographs available through the library's catalog. Federal funding for this project came from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, under the provisions of the Library Services & Technology Act (LSTA), administered in California by the State Librarian.
Unless otherwise noted, all photographs in the collection are the property of the Albany Library. Neither the original photographs nor the digital images in the catalog may be used on the Internet, published, or used in any other way without the expressed, written permission of either the Albany Library or the copyright holder. Contact the Albany Library for access to the original photographs or high-resolution digital scans suitable for printing. One copy of the digital image in the catalog may be printed for personal use only, including school reports. The credit line, "Courtesy of the Albany Library Historical Collection" should accompany any such use.
If so, please contact the Albany Library, 1247 Marin Avenue, Albany, CA 94706.
Send us an e-mail message