A list of Fremont's landmarks can be found through the city's official webpage here.
Ardenwood Historic Farm- 34600 Ardenwood Blvd at Kaiser Dr. Fremont, CA 94555 (888) 327-2757 - A visit to Ardenwood is a journey back to the time of the Patterson Ranch - a prosperous, 19th-century country estate including a beautiful mansion and its elaborate Victorian Gardens. Today the Historic Farm exhibits agricultural practices from the 1870s to the present, demonstrating the transition from horse-powered to horsepower.
Centerville Railroad Depot- 37260 Fremont Blvd. Fremont, CA 94536 - The Centerville Train Depot dates back to 1910, first used for the Southern Pacific railroad, and now serves as an Amtrak and Altamont Commuter train station. Throughout the decades, the train depot served passengers and dairy delivery trains, but was eventually discontinued. Almost fifty years later, commuters petitioned and won to have commuter trains return.
Centerville Pioneer Cemetery- Post Street and Bonde Avenue Fremont, CA 94536 - Grave finder and interactive map - Transcript of visible tombstones - Centrally located within the five original townships, this cemetery was started in the 1850s and the first burials occurred between 1853 and 1856. Several of Fremont’s notable founding pioneers are buried in the cemetery, many of whom have streets named after them.
Chadbourne Carriage House and Williams Historic Park - 39169 Fremont Blvd. Fremont, CA 94538 - landscape plan - Located at the Fremont Hub, the Carriage House comes alive every year as an interactive haunted house, with proceeds benefiting local charities. A small garden and sitting area are accessible from the Hub parking lot.
Children's Natural Science History Museum - 4074 Eggers Drive (second floor) Fremont, CA 94536 - The Museum contains natural history specimens, Ohlone artifacts, and the Wesley Gordon Fossil Hall, containing fossils found in the Irvington district, which would go on to lend its name to the geological period.
Ohlone Archaeological Site and Exhibitat Coyote Hills Regional Park 8000 Patterson Ranch Road, Paseo Padre exit off Highway 84 Fremont, CA 94555-3502 (510) 544-3220 - Programs at the main shellmound site allow visitors to see a reconstructed tule house, shade shelter, pit house, and sweat lodge.
Replica of Ohlone Home at Tule Ponds 1999 Walnut Ave, next to the Fremont BART Station Fremont, CA 94536 (510) 790-6284 - The Ohlone Indians, who settled this area before the Spaniards, used this marshy area to hunt and harvest the tules to make homes, baskets, boats, and toys. The lagoon was probably larger and connected to the marshy area that we now refer to as Stivers Lagoon.
Shinn House Historical Park and Arboretum- 1251 Peralta Blvd. Fremont, CA 94539 (510) 795-0891 - This 19th-century house and surrounding gardens are open for free public tours, giving a first-hand look at life on an early Fremont estate through its original furniture, household items, and articles of clothing.
Juan Jesus Vallejo Adobe- 36500 Niles Blvd. between Rancho Arroyo Pky & Hirsch Ter. Fremont, CA 94536 (510) 790-5541 - The adobe was built in 1842 by Jose de Jesus Vallejo for his vaqueros (cowboys) on the Rancho Arroyo de la Alameda, and was recently restored.
Vallejo Flour Mill Vallejo Mill Historical Park- NE Corner Niles Canyon Road and Mission Boulevard (HWY 238) Fremont, CA 94536 In 1853, José de Jesús Vallejo, brother of General M. G. Vallejo, built a flour mill on his Rancho Arroyo de la Alameda, the ruins of which can still be seen and explored.
Mission San Jose
Galindo Higuera Adobe- Curtner Road and Rancho Higuera Road, south of Mission San Jose Fremont, CA 94539 - History of Rancho Galindo Higuera from the Tri City Voice - This ranch house and adjacent stable are currently undergoing additional restoration, sponsored by the Local History Museum, the Mission Peak Heritage Foundation, and the Washington Township Historical Society.
Leland Stanford Winery Historical Landmark - 330 Stanford Ave. Fremont, CA 94537 - The former California governor and Stanford University founder started this winery in 1869, originally the site of the 1850s resort, the Warm Springs Hotel.
Mission San Jose and Museum- 43300 Mission Blvd (at Washington Blvd) Fremont, CA 94539 (510) 657-1797 - Mission San Jose was founded in 1797 as part of Spain's claim to this land by Padre Fermin Francisco de Lasuen. The Mission has been restored and mass is still celebrated. Surrounding the Mission is a garden and a museum containing artifacts.
St. Joseph's Cemetery- 43148 Mission Blvd at Telles Ln Fremont, CA 94539 (510) 656-2364 - Transcript of visible tombstones- Padre Fermin founded Mission San Jose at the site of the Ohlone village of Oroysom. Saint Joseph's Church, next to the mission, shares this cemetery which has been used by early settlers since 1884.